Monday, August 29, 2011

Never Going Back

Have you ever tried to clean your tub using baking soda and vinegar? If you haven't, I suggest you stop what you are doing right now and go try. Seriously. The results are jaw-dropping.

My quest to granola-living has me swapping my toxic, chemically-laden household cleaners for all-natural, feel-good, make-it-yourself versions. I am doing this slowly, replacing each cleaner as I run out and I am proud to say I took the last plunge today. This last one was a bit scary for me. How the heck was I going to clean the dirtiest area of our house to my standards without the scum-fighting, bacteria-killing power of Scrubbing Bubbles?

Four words people: vinegar and baking soda.

Seriously. Every single item in your house can be cleaned with varying amounts of either or both of these two household items. And the bathroom is no exception. I first replaced my window cleaner with 1 liter warm water and 2 tablespoons vinegar. It worked like a charm. I then replaced my toilet bowl cleaner with 1/4 cup baking soda and 2 cups vinegar. Magic. Mopping? Just use 1 gallon warm water and 1 cup apple cider vinegar (with a drop or two of baby oil if you want).

Today I conquered the shower. Previously I had been cleaning my shower while showering. Great time saving tip but geez, I almost hacked up a lung every time I sprayed down the shower. The humidity in the shower plus the action-packed Scrubbing Bubbles were a potent combination and made me painfully aware of how chock-full-o-chemicals that stuff really is. Then today happened. I was out of my go-to cleaner and ready for the natural option. For the basin of the tub I closed the drain and poured in the vinegar, just enough to thoroughly wipe it down. I then sprinkled baking soda all over the basin and got to scrubbing with my sponge. I am not kidding you when I say that soap scum I didn't even know was there began to come off. It took a little bit of elbow grease but before long my tub looked, well, cleaner than ever before! I rinsed it off with warm clean water and voila! I still can't believe how well it worked. For the tile area I just rubbed in baking soda with warm water, as vinegar can eat away at the grout if overused.

For me, this whole "all-natural" lifestyle is not just about getting rid of "toxins" and "waste"and all that jazz, but also about saving money. However, I am not here to tell you that cleaning with vinegar and baking soda is more cost-effective. Heck, I am terrible at math and too lazy to really figure it out. I will tell you that I go through the biggest jug of vinegar I have ever seen and an equally big box of baking soda about every 3-4 weeks. I know that's faster than I was replacing cleaning products. But honestly folks, I don't care. After the magic I saw it work on my tub today I don't give a flying flip. You can't put a price on soap scum removal people. Write that down.

No pictures for you folks. I am embarrassed of how bad our tub had gotten. Instead I challenge you to take your elbow grease, vinegar and baking soda and go try it out yourself. Seriously. Go.


3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to try this. I wonder I'd buying baking soda in bulk would be a less expensive option? I like to be green just as much as i like a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this too. I don't have much patience for the tiles, but the tub is kinda fun. The baking soda ends up looking like dirty snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you through Andrea's site... I am a granola-wannabe, too. :) Since my daughter was born, I've only used baking soda and vinegar too, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete